Search J & A Abroad

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Maybe later, maybe now

I have wanted to travel Asia for a long time.  But I haven't yet.  I plan to remedy that on April 3rd.

Singapore
A trip to Asia has always seemed like one of those "too-big" dreams.  Something fantastic to talk about, but too large and difficult to actually do anytime soon.  Maybe later, I kept telling myself.

As much as I talk about loving travel, I haven't been on an extended trip since 2007.  I went to Europe for two months with my girlfriend after college on the obligatory "go-to-Europe-before-real-life-starts-trip." And it was awesome.  It was a trip I would never take back. I learned a lot about myself, about the world, and about my future wife.  But it always felt safe somehow.  It felt like an escape more than an adventure for some reason.

Gulin, China
I pushed myself, but I never felt as uncomfortable as even just the thought of traveling in Asia makes me.

My girlfriend and I both started working almost as soon as we got back home.  Before we knew it almost four years had flown by.  It happens just like that. Zoom!

A lot happened in those four years - I bought a house, got married, went on an amazing honeymoon, made friends, lost friends, pursued a new career, and started a writing project.  But also in that time I started getting antsy again.  My wife and I started talking more and more about our future.  And the more we talked, the more we realized that we didn't have much time.  Our lives were getting more complicated each day, and the opportunity we were looking for - the opportunity to seemingly blow off our responsibilities here and flee the country - wasn't going to be around forever.

Indonesia
So, we quit our jobs to backpack around Asia and Australia. We are extremely lucky to be able to take this time to travel and we want to take you with us! This blog will detail our trip with words and photos.  I have no idea what this will all look like at the end of our trip but I hope it will allow you to travel along side us.

I hope you will enjoy following it!

1 comment: